Porters 'warming food' may have caused Kilimanjaro fire

The authorities in Tanzania suspect that porters who were warming food for a group of mountain climbers may have accidentally started a fire...

The authorities in Tanzania suspect that porters who were warming food for a group of mountain climbers may have accidentally started a fire that broke out on the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro.

"Though we are still investigating, it seems the fire that was lit to prepare food for the tourists torched the dry vegetation in the area and spread quickly," said Tanzania National Parks official Pascal Shelutete.

"The fire is under control and we are ensuring that climbing activities are not affected," he added.

Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa's highest peak, is a popular tourist destination and tens of thousands of people climb it every year.

Mwananchi news site has shared a video of Mr Shelutete speaking to journalists in Swahili.


Umojami Native

90 News posts

Comments
Isaac A. O. 28 w

Health is wealth